Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 89

Thread: Greatest Hits

  1. #71
    Inactive Member PainWillBeMyMotivation's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2005
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My take on it is basically that it's for the kids or whatever they are who've heard about Social D but don't know what they're all about. I know in the past, in pre-downloading days, if I heard a band was really good and I went to the store looking for one of their CDs, I'd get their greatest hits if they had one just because it seemed like a safer bet rather than worrying about getting just one or two good songs or a CD from the band at a low point. It makes them more accesible to the casual fan or the simply curious. As far as "Far Behind", if those people hear it with the knowledge that that's what the next CD is going to sound like, they'll be more likely to buy it if they like that song, I guess the thinking may be. I don't see this as being geared toward the existing fans or how it screws us. It's not their fault that I'm a completist.

  2. #72
    Inactive Member jen415's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2005
    Posts
    641
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Although it's been active for more than 25 years, Social Distortion's only coughing up a mere 10 tracks for its upcoming greatest hits album.

    The band's Greatest Hits is on deck for a June 26 release from Timebomb Recordings. The measly 10-track effort's rounded out with a new track ("Far Behind"), as the band plucks a few songs from each of its albums.

    Greatest Hits' track listing is:

    Another State Of Mind
    Mommy's Little Monster
    Prison Bound
    Story Of My Life
    Ball And Chain
    Ring Of Fire
    Bad Luck
    When The Angels Sing
    I Was Wrong
    Reach For The Sky
    Far Behind

  3. #73
    spomaxman
    Guest spomaxman's Avatar

    Post

    Hey MikeAZ, no offense but I think you missed my point. I don't really care what they selected for the other songs besides Far Behind. I have all the studio cd's, so as far as "the hits" go, it really doesn't matter to me. I say he's screwing the hardcore fans because we've all got those 10 songs, it's Far Behind that we don't have. So, we have to buy a whole cd of songs that we already own just to get the new song. That's my point, save Far Behind for the next full length cd. Don't make me shell out $12 to buy one song. I'm sure someone will have it online and I'll download it, so fine, I'll stop bitching!!! But, everyone is still getting screwed.

  4. #74
    HB Forum Owner wolfpits's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2003
    Posts
    1,546
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    thats not a greatest hits collection as far as im concerned, but im not just a casual fan. Social D is my favorite band. Social D is not everyones favorite band and this collection for the most part is just a compilation of their most commercially successful songs, not my favorite songs or your favorite songs...but commercially successful songs. This is so the casual fan who has barely dipped into social distoriton can get all of their popular, recognizable songs on one CD without having to buy their whole catalog.

    What is the big fucking Deal????

  5. #75
    Inactive Member RnROutlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2003
    Posts
    198
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Mhhmm I own 4 "greatest hits" compilations, first two are late 60s vinyl classics from the Stones and Dylan, the other two are british punk. Sham69 and Uk Subs.. And these two are interesting. The Sham 69 "Best of" contains 2 CD, one filled with the (chart) Hits (18 tracks) the other one with a good Live show and also some other songs (15 tracks). The UK Subs "Greatest hits live" CD from 1993 is a killer because of the good audio quality and 32 tracks.

    The difference.. Social D were successful with their LP records, not with vinyl/CD singles. This GH compilation reflects mainly the tries with the single format. [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Maybe that's the weird thing...

    OT: Does someone own the Promo VHS for white light? I wanted to watch the interview with Chuck, Mike, Dennis & John for the last 12 years without success. It was around 1996 on the social d. website but my internet connection was crap in the mid 90s, couldn't download this. It's on ebay these days (Promo video) and I didn't know before that it exists.

  6. #76
    Inactive Member Sedated's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 29th, 2007
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by wolfpits:
    thats not a greatest hits collection as far as im concerned, but im not just a casual fan. Social D is my favorite band. Social D is not everyones favorite band and this collection for the most part is just a compilation of their most commercially successful songs, not my favorite songs or your favorite songs...but commercially successful songs. This is so the casual fan who has barely dipped into social distoriton can get all of their popular, recognizable songs on one CD without having to buy their whole catalog.

    What is the big fucking Deal????
    <font size="2" face="verdana, arial">I think the big fucking deal is the die hards will want to buy this for the new track, as stated before in numerous posts.
    The argument this comp is marketed soley for the casual fan therfore doesnt hold water.

  7. #77
    Inactive Member PainWillBeMyMotivation's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2005
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Like I said before, it's not their fault that there are some of us who'll buy it just for that song. Ness said that it's on there to give an indication of the direction of the next studio album and well, I think all of us diehards already have a good idea about that. It seems like a promotional device to hook new fans and promote the next new album to them- and us long time fans don't need convincing to want to buy that (whenever it comes out)!

    Oh, and lest we all forget, it's called "Greatest Hits", not "Fan Favorites". Those are the only songs they've had that even bordered on being considered hits or have had some sort of commercial viability.

  8. #78
    HB Forum Owner wolfpits's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2003
    Posts
    1,546
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    relax sedated, if your such a die hard fan, then you absolutely wouldnt mind paying .99 for this one song on any one of the many pay-per-song downloading sites out there. Leave this CD for the casual fan.

  9. #79
    Inactive Member KissMe Deadly1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2006
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's it? 11 songs? Wow, I guess I will pass on this and find the new song elsewhere after it's released.

  10. #80
    Inactive Member KissMe Deadly1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2006
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    They are not going to be 're-recorded' for this compilation. They are all the original recordings.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •